View Single Post
Old February 12, 2000, 11:57 AM   #16
rbbrew

To continue Dr. Rob's coyote legend, the Amer. Indians believe that the coyote will be the last living creature on earth, having survived even man...

Coyotes have actually benefited from man's encroachment into their habitat. Garbage piles, housepets, and livestock have all added greatly to existing coyote food sources. In fact, coyotes are the only predator to have actually expanded their range of habitation in the last 50 years or so.

There is little chance of overhunting them near human populations. I live in a fairly dense residential area in Memphis, TN, and I can hear at least three major packs singing to one another most nights. We have a nice deer herd nearby, too, mainly because the coyotes have turned to an easier food source--man's cast-offs.

So as the others have said, hunt coyotes in areas where they are threats to livestock, etc., if it makes you feel better.

I'm sympathetic with you, but for a different animal--the bobcat. Oh, they are beautiful!

But I guess as man hunts deer and birds, he seeks instinctively to eliminate his competition, just as coyotes and bobcats would seek to eliminate us, if THEY carried guns!

Page generated in 0.03505 seconds with 8 queries