View Single Post
Old February 11, 2013, 10:06 AM   #2
Winchester_73

Well we could probably identify the gun and date it for you. The SN you gave cannot be right, as it is out of range for a pre war gun, and for post war, they had a K prefix for many years. Even after the K prefix, there was a K in the SN, perhaps until recently. If the SN (on butt of gun) is K 252XXX then it dates to approx 1953. I have my grandfather's K-22 which is K253XXX which dates to 1953, IIRC.

11XXX inside the crane is likely an assembly number, used for factory purposes, IE it has no meaning to us. The gun should be a 5 screw, if the number you gave has a K prefix. Look for a screw on the upper right hand corner of frame, right below the rear sight. That screw was the first to be removed for K and N frame revolvers.

Once again, assuming that the SN has a K prefix, it would be considered a K-22 masterpiece which is the predecessor to the later model 17. Some people call what you may have a pre 17. these were usually blue, and had a 6in barrel most often. There was a 4in variant made, which is the K-22 combat masterpiece.

As for a website, there is the S&W forum, but most often, everyone references the SCSW 3rd which many people here have anyways, including myself. Verify the SN (K prefix or not) and post a pic if you can.

Page generated in 0.02345 seconds with 8 queries