View Single Post
Old February 21, 2017, 08:52 AM   #81
Nanuk

Quote:
And sometimes a .357 Magnum doesn't work all that well. LAPD Officer Stacy Lim who was shot in the chest with a .357 Magnum and still ran down her attacker, returned fire, killed him, survived, and ultimately was able to return to duty. She was off duty and heading home after a softball game and a brief stop at the station to check her work assignment. According to the article I linked to:
Your characterization is somewhat flawed. With all due respect to you and Ms Lim. She did not chase anyone down, She had her pistol tucked under her arm and the BG was behind her car, which she had just got out of. She was able to shoot him several times and stumble around the car. She herself believed that if she were hit again she would have died on the spot, if not for her roommate she probably would have. I kinda have an inside track, friend of a friend......

All I can say is thank god it was a Winchester 110 magnum and not a Remington. Bullet construction and velocity make as much and maybe more difference than caliber. I also really dislike the term "Handgun velocity" what is that anyway? It is a hold over from the studies in the 1890 by Kocher in Germany where he compared the would with Pistols and rifles during the black powder era. Pistol velocity was pretty much accepted as below 1000 fps. We really to to stop using that term, expanding bullets @ over 1300 fps really are game changers, provided they penetrate enough.

My main carry gun now as a retired fed is my Model 69 Smith loaded with 180 grain JHP's @ 1500 fps (PMC Bronze), backed up by a Charter arms Bulldog 44 special. Having survived working the streets for as long as I did, working up thru my career and seeing hundreds of shootings first hand, investigating them, interviewing those involved and conferring with trusted colleagues has left its impression on me.

I do not need 17 chances to make an impression, I want to hit them so hard the first chance I get that they realize they need to be somewhere else, NOW.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Page generated in 0.03851 seconds with 8 queries