View Single Post
Old October 1, 2008, 11:29 AM   #15
FL-Flinter

Mike,

It all depends on how the grips are made - one of the reasons I don't care to order 'unknown' after-market grips is unless you know exactly who's making/selling them and how, it's usually a crap-shoot as to what you're getting. Some guns like Ruger's hold extremely tight tolerances on their machine and finishing work so it's much easier for a company to produce after-market grips that will usually be within acceptable OEM spec's. On others guns, tolerances are quite varied and while one may measure 2.125" at the base of the frame, the next one off the line may measure 2.200" - of course, the greater the OEM tolerances, the more difficult it becomes for an after-market supplier to keep their products within acceptable tolerance through no fault of their own. I do prefer having the after-market supplier product be oversized, doesn't matter if it's pistol grips or a long stock, it's easy to take wood off but there's nothing you can do if it comes in too small. I have found that some after-market suppliers will take the time to check sizes before shipping the product if you supply them with the exact measurements of what you need - others just send you whatever they have or whatever the lowest bidder provided.

Most of my grips are made from scratch so I can hand-select the wood to fit the application. If it's getting inlays and carving/checkering, obviously a straight tight grain is best and if they're going to slick-sides you want wood with nice figure and color to it.

The folks at Dixie are great people to deal with, they've been in business for a long time and the reason why speaks for itself.

Page generated in 0.02799 seconds with 8 queries