View Single Post
Old October 10, 2005, 11:59 AM   #38
blackmind

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocFox
Do I carry a gun to the bathroom in my own home, yes. Have I always, no. Why did I change? Simple, Over the years there has been a steady increase of home invasions (in nice neighborhoods I should add) and it boils down to one simple fact, IF it happened, do I want my gun closer to them , or closer to me. It is a matter of keeping control of your weapon, not excited anticipation of "getting to use my piece".

+1!

Doc, good points.

It seems to me that JSP is inclined toward thinking that anyone who wishes to never be caught with his pants down (pun intended) is paranoid.

When I shower, I do bring my little pack into the bathroom with me. I imagine how I'd feel if I heard the front door shoved in and realized, "Crap! I left my piece in the living room/bedroom/closet!" If it is no trouble to STAY prepared, why would one ever allow oneself to be UNprepared? Bravado? Should I want to "challenge" myself, or allow the home invader some sort of more level playing field? Even his chances? NO. I want to stack the odds as much in my favor as possible.

There is no downside that I can think of to keeping the gun close by even when in the home. I think that anyone who allows himself to relax his guard just because he's home either lives in a fortified bunker (and his attitude is warranted) or he is fooling himself about his security and may just be the one who is unprepared for the unexpected intruder. Home invasions DO happen. Residents do NOT get to choose when and how. Sometimes it's the guy who "just ran out of gas and needs to use the phone." Other times, it's the dude who just bashes the door with no warning. Other times, it's the guy who sneaks in during the night when everyone's asleep, and gets discovered in the dark hallway.

I'd like JSP to explain why it's unwise to keep a firearm close by, just in case. What's the harm of doing it -- "seeming paranoid"? Who cares how I seem? I want to be ready.

-blackmind

Page generated in 0.03414 seconds with 8 queries