View Single Post
Old September 21, 2017, 12:58 PM   #1
fredvon4

Looking for good advice on 800 yard shooting

Back story... Old guy, retired army, and used to be a good long range shooter out to 500+ yrds iron sites. Ha! ----now can't see my own Peter without glasses

Young 34 year old son won two local LR shoots with my Ruger 204 and cheap glass at 500yrds shooting store bought varmint rounds

BTW, for here, the top prize is a substantial $600 Gift Cert for the (shoot sponsor) gun shop

SO---next year--- to unseat him, a local butt head (with a 50 cal single shot) convinced the hardware store owner (gun shop) to up the range to 800 yrds

Target is steel, 12 wide by 24 tall with 10" center bull

Just bought my son a Remington 700 308 with R5 24" bbl 1:11.25 twist ( price was right)

Shot will be at 1100 foot elevation (our local) probably 80~90F air, and I suspect for time of year, wind will be left to right 8 knots, perhaps up to 12 knots

Problem is--- hill top to hill top shot....slightly down hill ( I estimate 75' drop) with 150' deep valley between rest and target...mid range wind is nearly impossible to gage .....no flags or trees... Texas crap terrain

I do reload, (45-70 and 45 colt) but not set up for 308 and prefer to not fuss with the testing

This one rifle will only be used for 500 to 800 yard shots
Store bought match grade ammo is prefered

I would like your opinions or advice on:

1: Good optics like Leupold VX-3I series or any others you think damned good
2: Wisdom of picking a factory load and getting a BDC retical or turret
3: Match grade store bought ammo thoughts...
4: Ideas and opinions for mid range dope, or is it even worth worrying about
5: Any hints or wisdom for barrel break in
6: Do I need to get the barrel re-crowned from the get go?
7: Any ideas on Remington's 40X trigger... or just get a Timiny and be happy?

Page generated in 0.04410 seconds with 8 queries