View Single Post
Old June 27, 2013, 06:42 PM   #19
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I can tell you the differences, but "better" is up to you. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a coyote with a .204 at any distance that I would make the shot with a 22-250.

The .204 is slightly quieter (still way loud, just less really loud), has less recoil, you'll see your shot hit it's mark and it is just about the flattest shooting, relatively long-distance varmint round you can get in factory ammo.(The .220 Swift guys will chime in here.)

The .22-250 has slightly more power (not really relevant with coyotes), is very popular, has a wider variety of factory ammo and is THE flattest shooting thing for varmints, if you load your own ammo. (The .220 Swift guys will chime in here.)

Either will kill any coyote just as dead as the other. The differences in trajectory with most any ammo out to any reasonable distance is irrelevant. You're not guessing at 500 yards. You're either measuring and adjusting or you're missing. Won't matter what cartridge you're using. Both are too loud to shoot without hearing protection.

I love my .204. It's fantastic. I really like the almost complete lack of recoil. But, I also really like the .22-250 and have loaded for and shot one a far bit. It's also a great cartridge. I lean towards the .204 because I like to be "different" and every Jo Bob and his brother has a .22-250 but it's purely personal choice.

Page generated in 0.03415 seconds with 8 queries