View Single Post
Old April 18, 2013, 09:03 PM   #18
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDeuce 1
...Ball ammo has worked fine for me...
Really? So you've been in actual violent encounters in which ball ammunition performed satisfactorily and promptly neutralized a threat? Or do you really mean that you carry a defensive gun loaded with ball ammunition and you're satisfied with it even though you've never actually had to use it in self defense?

In any case, since it's pretty much the universal choice among U. S. police agencies, the "gold standard" in defensive handgun ammunition seems to be quality JHP ammunition.

Quote:
...The "mm" in 9mm, means "might make it." I remember reading some information a very long time ago regarding the penetration of the 9mm, .40 cal and the .45 ACP. If I recall correctly, the 9mm penetrated the test medium to the minimum depth... only 68% of the time. The .40 cal was in the 80-90% range. The 45 ACP was a constant high 90's%...
Please provide the source.

Quote:
...The .45 ACP is tops. I have seen more one shot stops than the 9mm could have ever hoped for even in a controlled setting....
Where? Under what circumstances?
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.03049 seconds with 8 queries