View Single Post
Old January 15, 2013, 11:21 PM   #10
ThomasT

It may be no more complicated than they are all people can find and also get ammo for. Plus some may be laying in a gun for the long haul. A gun that can be buried or hid in a wall that fires a very stout battle round is a good thing. I read Backwoodsman Magazine and it seems like lots of folks like tough as boots, simple rifles that can be counted on.

I have looked at them and I like the short carbine models but for a little more money I can find a beater like the remington 30-06 I got for $200 bucks a few years back.

Its an older model 700 that has the safety that locks the bolt. The polyurathane finish was about all flaked off. It had some deep dents in the wood, the bolt had been cycled enough the machine design (those circles) were wore about half off. But it has a perfect barrel and about a 95% bolt lug contact. Plus the wood is fantastic on it with lots of figure.

I refinished it and bedded the action. It seems to shoot most all loads at below 2" and most of the time around the 1" mark. Plus it has a gunsmith mounted recoil pad. I don't think I can get a surplus that I would like better.

But if the right Mosin showed up for a decent price I would give it a try. I would always get my money back if I didn't like it.

Page generated in 0.03854 seconds with 8 queries