View Single Post
Old October 31, 2012, 07:03 PM   #24
Flyboy_451

There are a lot of variables in cast bullets

Hollow points cast from an appropriate alloy are every bit as effective as jacketed hollow points. Non-expanding designs rely on their shape and weight to provide performance. Large flat meplat designs tend to be the best performers, and in my opinion, the heavier the better (within reason).

Light weight bullets rely on velocity to achieve good penetration. The momentum of a heavier bullet allows it to penetrate deeper at the low velocities typically seen with short barrels. The bullet has to get to vitals to do it's job, and we can not always assume that the shot will be fron to back with no major skeletal structure in the way. The shot could easily be from the side, requiring a shot that penetrates the upper arm or shoulder, or the assailant may be facing us, but pointing a gun with both hands, once again increasing the odds that the bullet has a lot of work to do before reaching the vitals.

Years ago there was an article in one of the gun rags that explored the performance of various bullet weights in snub nose revolvers. In almost every case, the heavier bullets out performed the lighter bullets.

My general purpose load in .45 Colt uses LBTs outstanding Ogival Wadcutter bullet, weighing in a about 265grns when cast from wheel weight alloy. Water quenching brings the hardness to about a 21BHN. This bullet has a front meplat that is nearly full caliber. It penetrates deep and crushes pretty much anything in it's path. Wound diameter will depend on impact velocity, but even at an estimated 750-800fps, I have poked 1/2"+ holes completely through more than one deer. This bullet does the job, and I would have no issues using it for defensive purposes.

My second choice would be a true Kieth style bullet. I would only select the original 255grn RNFP as a last resort in a heavy bullet, but would probably choose it over a 200grn bullet. Light weight and low velocity are not a good combination in my experience. Heavy for caliber is the way to go.

JW

Page generated in 0.03856 seconds with 8 queries