View Single Post
Old March 27, 2012, 05:20 PM   #23
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Maybe it is an old wives' tale, but I've had more than a few shooters, with far more years behind the trigger than I, say that it can happen. I've never had it happen personally, but I don't tend to stagger ammo in a handgun anyway, and my reasoning is that if JHPs will work, why tempt Murphy? IIRC, a "Dutch load" used to be a reliability test done by some reviewers in gun rags. Perpetuation of the myth? I don't know.
So a story told to you by others about an event that has never happened to you, that you pass off as being factual. That is actually full blown mythology.

It has been my experience that there is a lot of religion in the beliefs of how handguns work and shooters will tell you point blank and incorrectly about various issues. I especially am impressed with all the people with guns that have never malfunctioned. When you get to talk with them more, you learn that they have had parts break such that the gun wasn't operable, bad springs, bad ammo, bad magazines that have caused their guns to not fire, but the gun has never malfunctioned.

What I see is a fairly significant disparity between what folks say is going on with their guns and what is actually going on with their guns. Without better explanation than "bullet contour" causing problems, I don't see where the different ammo issue has any weight.

BTW, the way I learned wasn't that it was bullet contour. That would be silly. What I learned was that the malfunctions were caused by the different burn rates or loads of powder between ball ammo and hollowpoint ammo that caused problems. Apparently shooting different loads causes some sort of confusion on the part of the gun to cycle the ammo.

Of course there were detractors who though the different loads issue was bogus, noting that the malfunctions were user induced as a result of different amounts of recoil between hollowpoint defensive ammo and ball ammo, that it was the user, not the gun, that was at fault.

Page generated in 0.02990 seconds with 8 queries