View Single Post
Old August 6, 2011, 02:17 PM   #10
Kevin Rohrer

I added a Strong Mount and my Dillon Dip problem went away. Now I can sit on my stool or stand and cycle the press w/o having to lean down.

Quote:
IMO the more directly mounted your press is the better (less bench movement and flex)
This could be a consideration if you are FL resizing large cases, but anything =<.223 should not be consideration. I am only loading pistol rounds and the press does not move. The Strong Mount is made of thick, heavy sheet steel and the 1/4" nuts and bolts they include are plenty big. Interestingly enough, the instructions say to drill 5/16" holes, but 1/4" holes work fine.

Quote:
Since its a 550 there is no powder check other than visual and this is harder to do b/c of the angle. That might be a consideration when you're reloading in bulk. I know some folks have mounted lights directly to the press, but the area in the "O" is shadowed so visual inspection is already hindered a bit.
You are right about all this, and it is a problem that I am concerned about; it's why I considered moving to a Star or a PW. A powder check station would have been nice. I wish I could get a 650 w/ manual cycling. The light you see goes a long way to solve the problem, but as you say, with the design of the press, the 'O' gets in the way of visually inspecting powdered cases. One solution would be to move the crimp die to another press and replace it with the bullet seating die, then add a powder check die to the normal bullet seating station.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer

Page generated in 0.03420 seconds with 8 queries