View Single Post
Old April 28, 2000, 06:45 PM   #11
tstr

I just solved a problem which I thought was crimp related but wasn't. I had purchased flat nosed led bullets for my .45 and loaded them according to the closest specs I could find in any of my books. They fired fine through my Sig P220 but jammed up several times in my buddy's Glock 21. I thought it was a crimp problem and tightened up the crimp till is curled the bullet. It took me a bit to figure out that it wasn’t the crimp but was rather the seating depth that was giving me problems. The body of the bullet was catching in the barrel rifling before the round was completely chambered leaving the slide stuck at about 1/16th of an inch from closed. Seating the bullet deeper fixed the problem. The bullet diameter should begin tapering almost immediately above the case mouth. If it begins to taper below (inside) the case mouth it is too deep. If it doesn't start to taper right away above the case mouth, it is too shallow.

This probably isn’t your problem, but I thought I’d mention it incase it helped somebody.

Don

Page generated in 0.02415 seconds with 8 queries