View Single Post
Old November 27, 2019, 01:36 PM   #7
NJgunowner

Let's clear up some misconceptions.

First off hollow point ammunition isn't illegal in NJ. You can buy it at all the ranges. It is only legal to use it at home/property you own, business that you own, or a range however. I'm not sure about hunting...

Next, if your destination is NJ I'd seriously recommend just leaving it at home. If you won't for whatever reason, understand that having a so called high capacity magazine is a felony. In this state that is anything that can hold more than 10 rounds in a detachable magazine, 6 for a shotgun with a detachable magazine. There are a number of banned by name guns, banned features/accessories, etc. Here are some "evil" wink wink features banned in NJ.

Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and at least two of the following:
Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
Barrel shroud safety feature that prevents burns to the operator (does not include the slide of a pistol)
Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm.

Anything deemed illegal by NJ can get you into a lot of trouble where guns are concerned. Many cops don't understand FOPA, so even passing through the state could potentially be a hassle. Many DA's like making gun owners life miserable even knowing that you'll be exonerated, so expect a lot of time getting it worked out if in the unlikely event it ever comes up.

The reality is your chances of being sucked into this mess is exceedingly small unless you do something really dumb though. People make a big deal about it because IF it happens, it can get really ugly. But in practice it doesn't happen very often. I've lived here 30 years and never had an issue, nor do I know anyone who has had an issue. I've only heard "the stories". It's the rare cop who is actively looking for a reason to search your vehicle for illegal guns... See the first sentence of this paragraph for the exception

If your destination is NJ, for the love of god make sure your magazines and guns aren't breaking NJ law and it'll probably be fine.

Last edited by NJgunowner; November 27, 2019 at 03:01 PM.

Page generated in 0.02952 seconds with 8 queries