View Single Post
Old January 15, 2019, 11:48 AM   #5
Skans

Quote:
The idea of being able to have a NICS check on a stranger buying your gun is not without merit. Keeping permanent government records is problematic.

Years ago, a friend of mine wanted to sell his Sigma pistol. So he was on line to enter the gun show, a unknown person comes up and asks what he has. The dude offers more than my friend expected. My friend sells it and the gun goes off to ... I would never do that.

An interesting statistic - if a gun is sold NIB and it ends up in a crime, it takes about 10 years. If the sale is person to person, the time to crime (as it is called) is about 5 years.

Anyway, if you sell a gun to an individual, you do not know well, what info would you ask for, if not required by law.
Just make NICS available to EVERYONE rather than only FFL's, and make it illegal to use NICS for anything other than checking someone's background for the purpose of purchasing a firearm. BATFE can make a short FTF form for firearms purchasers to fill out and sign which would authorize the seller to do the NICS check. IMHO, the solution is so simple and would use the same NICS system in place today.

Page generated in 0.02683 seconds with 8 queries