View Single Post
Old February 24, 2019, 12:50 PM   #8
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblanc View Post
Bruce Gray and quite a few other SIG gurus suggest going no lighter than a 19 lb hammer spring on a P229. That is what I have in both my P229s. I have never had a light primer striker with either.

I have heard of individuals going with lighter P229 mainsprings who have claimed 100% reliability so you might consider doing so. But you would need to test it extensively before relying on it for self-defense. And keep in mind that like all springs, hammer springs do weaken over time. So what might be 100% reliable today might not be so in a year or two.

SIGs like most "combat" pistols are relatively over-sprung wrt hammer springs so as to insure reliability with all types of ammunition over time even in the absence of regular maintenance, so you can usually get away with reducing the mainspring power some. Doing so will have an effect mostly on the DA trigger pull, but because the P229, like most commercial pistols has positive sear engagement angles for safety, the reduced power mainspring will reduce the SA trigger pull weight some.
Bruce Gray's master spring set for the P series pistols, which you can buy on his website, includes a 17 lb hammer spring. I've been using it for a bit and have had no issues. The same kit also includes a lighter firing pin spring so there's that to consider as well. Like you say over time as the springs weaken you could get light strikes. The hardness of primers of the different ammunition you use also plays a role.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Page generated in 0.06761 seconds with 8 queries