View Single Post
Old December 14, 2013, 04:03 AM   #19
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
How often do you get outside year round?

I live in Alaska. I get outside and hike approximately 350 days a year in Alaska. (Go on vacation for a couple of weeks a year or it would likely be 365.) I have been cold once in the last 10 years; it was snowmobiling/machining/going wearing too thin gloves for the day and the back of my hands got cold. I also shoot regularly outdoors year round.

If you go outside on a regular basis, you will acquire the correct mindset and gear over time. You will also become acclimated to your environment. Recently I went on vacation in November, it was -25F at my home and around 70F at my vacation spot. (Almost a 100 degree difference.) A good number of the locals where I traveled to were wearing winter jackets and Uggs, I was wearing shorts and sandals. We do tend to somewhat acclimate physically to our environment over time.

Big proponent of having good/right gear. Just also noting that getting out on a regular basis makes a big difference overall. You learn which gear does work for you. Health benefits to hiking/running/walking and become far more comfortable in the environment.

Good hat makes a world of difference. I have a beaver hat that I don't even think of putting on unless it hits the negative digits and even then only if I am not going to be too physically active (as in only walking slowly); or I end up taking it off. Also, block the wind with good gear.

I shoot without gloves most of the time. I have some camera shooting gloves that I picked up years ago that I use occasionally; during the winter about half of time I wear fleece gloves when out and about (about half of my time outdoors during the winter I don't wear gloves at all - warm from hiking) and take them off for shooting, including hunting when it it cold.

Just some thoughts from someone who sometimes finds himself opening his front door and it is 100 degrees colder in one step.
YMMV

Now, go figure...

Page generated in 0.05286 seconds with 8 queries