View Single Post
Old September 2, 2010, 02:24 PM   #1
LordTio3

Learn From Their Mistakes

Quote:
Guns attract retards like lights attract moths. Spend some time on AR15.com if you have any doubt that this it the TRUTH.

You could have a 500 page thread if everyone contributed their stupid people with guns stories.

~demigod
This is a quote from demigod on a separate thread and it got me thinking... one of the common practices I engage in when teaching a new shooter to handle weapons is to use anecdotes from my past involving idiots and their guns. I find that they are an incredible teaching tool; along the lines of "This guy right beside me did (X) and it was a completely negligent and dangerous practice. Can you tell me why?" It helps new shooters to be engaged and use their brains instead of just being "preached at".

I really do have a TON of stories about stupid people with guns, and some are even very educational. So I propose a thread involving anecdotes from our experiences that hold a grain of wisdom for those that need to learn or those of us that are still learning after many years. They can be simple or long as long as they are either A) Funny B) Provocative C) Educational D)Novel and Weird. -pretty much anything that will hold interest.

I'll go first with a simple one...

I was at my not-so-local range on a very busy day. I was shooting in the outdoor pistol booths and had a gentleman directly to my right and one a few lanes down to my left. I could clearly see that my neighbor was getting continually frustrated with his shooting. He was aiming at a silhouette target about 5 yards down and after every few rounds would grunt or cuss. He also seemed to be getting more FTEs than I would expect from a PT92. Finally after several minutes of his ongoing I asked him if everything was alright. He replied with, "This gun can't hit a damn thing."

I inwardly sighed and calmly replied that if you don't regularly clean your weapon after you shoot it, a common side effect is that it can become a bit inaccurate and have increased malfunctions. I then asked him if his guns internals were clean... and immediately regretted it after I saw the puzzled look on his face.

He slowly looked from me to his weapon, then muzzle swept me with his loaded gun, finger on the trigger, as he turned his wrist up so that he could look down the barrel and check if all of his internals were clean.

I was fuming and gave him a semi polite rip about trying to kill both of us, (which in hind sight probably wasn't the most constructive decision), before packing up and leaving for the day after about 20 minutes of mostly not shooting.

Pearls of wisdom?
1. No matter how incredibly stupid someone is with a weapon, don't fly off the handle when they have their finger on the trigger pointed toward you or them. Ask them assertively to change that fact, then tear away. You don't want to startle them into movement. You could be shot.

2. Clean your weapon. It'll work better.

3. When inspecting the internals of a modern firearm; bore lights work much better than hollowpoints for accurate observation.

Here's hoping toward that 500 page mark.

I know I have at least a couple of pages worth.

~LT

Last edited by Mal H; September 2, 2010 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Cleaned up language

Page generated in 0.02846 seconds with 8 queries