View Single Post
Old February 11, 2010, 12:40 AM   #15
DG45

I owned a 12 gauge Remington Sportsman made in the 1930s for about 35 years. Wonderful gun. A couple of years ago I gave it to my 21 year old son who was in the service. Inside 6 months he'd sold it to a pawnshop for $50. Needed the money he said. Sheesh!!

I missed the gun and bought a 12 gauge Remington Model 11 made in 1938 for $200. Another wonderful gun.

The most important difference is that the Sportsman held only two rounds in the magazine; the Model 11 holds 4, but in my state if you use a gun for waterfowl you have to plug it so the magazine holds only two rounds.

There were a number of small cosmetic differences. The Sportsman had a "beavertail" forearm. Some liked it, some didn't. The screw cap on the Sportsman magazine was a little different too, and to me was cheaper looking than the end cap on my Model 11.

The words "The Sportsman" were rollmarked on the breechbolt of the Sportsman. The term "Model 11" is rollmarked on the breechbolt of the Model 11.

Both guns were rollmarked with hunting scenes, but I can't remember now exactly what the scenes that were rollmarked on the Sportsman looked like. It seems like there was a pheasant on the ground or something like that. Can somebody post a picture of the rollmarks on a Sportsman? I'm thinking it was very close but not exactly the same as on the scenes on the Model 11, but I could be wrong. (My Model 11 has a flying pheasant scene on one side of the receiver and a flying duck scene of the other side of the receiver.)

Hope this helps

Page generated in 0.02511 seconds with 8 queries