View Single Post
Old July 10, 2009, 01:00 PM   #2
overkill556x45

I do practice some of them, but not at any great length. A mag or half a mag per is usually enough.

The only ninja positions I practice are lying flat on my back and shooting either left or right handed (both pistol and rifle). This is supposed to simulate shooting under a vehicle. I also practice shooting supine, but not all that much. I could see a use for that position if you're shooting from prone and get surprised from a flank or the rear. (I'm military, BTW, not a tinfoil hat manufacturer)

I also practice tucking in and out of cover from standing, kneeling, and prone. One could argue that this isn't terribly unorthodox, but I think it is something that you need to practice. Just standing there squared off with your cardboard bad guy may build bad habits. While there are times you need to stand your ground and blast away, there are also a lot of times when you should seek cover and use it to your advantage. I use big trees, fallen logs, or the engine compartment of my truck (car doors are not cover. concrete is cover.) as cover and practice shooting out the left and right sides. I also practice raising up from a supine position and shooting over top of a log. I get no more than 5 seconds and 3 shots to ring a 4" spinner at 25 yards with my AR .22LR conversion.

Pretty much no matter what kind of cover I use, I try to limit my exposure time to 5 seconds and I get no more than 3 shots. With the 1911 .22 conversion, the spinner is at 15 yards--sometimes 25. With the rifle, the spinner goes to 25 yards. I also occasionally hang up 3 or 4 targets at different heights (kneeling, standing, prone, for example). With multiple targets I get 5 seconds to hit as many as I can as many times as I can. I try for two shots into all targets.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it does me good to shoot from odd positions. I think it helps you figure out your tactical environment.

Page generated in 0.02407 seconds with 8 queries