View Single Post
Old July 28, 2007, 02:58 PM   #26
fastbolt

Homerboy has decided to share his thoughts as he reconsiders an established personal practice. I understand his reasoning and concerns.

I also like revolvers. I liked them before I began working as a cop, I carried them as issued weapons as a young cop, and I've enjoyed an increased interest in them in recent years as off-duty weapons. I have little doubt they'll become a mainstay in my choice of retirement carry weapons.

However, when it comes to a weapon being available during the night (my children are grown and my first grandchild is still months away), it's generally either my issued compact .40 S&W (equipped with night sights), or else one or another of my personally owned pistols equipped with night sights.

Why?

It isn't limited to just one reason. I've been carrying and training with pistols of one sort or another for quite a number of years. I've fired tens of thousands of rounds through a number of various issued and personally owned pistols during my career. My demonstrated skills and abilities with various pistols are pretty much developed well enough for me to trust them under stress.

The main reason my night table weapon is generally a pistol, though? Simple, really. The number of rounds available between reloading ... combined with the consideration that if I'm undressed when I reach for a weapon and flashlight, I may end up not having a spare speedloader on me if/when my 5-shot revolver runs dry. FWIW, I've only got one revolver with a night sight, and I haven't finished my personal 'shake down' period with it, yet.

Like other cops, I've had the opportunity to learn of LE shootings which involved anywhere from one, to a few, to a lot of rounds fired.

Like other citizens, I've had the opportunity to read the published details involved in reported 'home invasion'-type crimes occurring outside my immediate jurisdiction.

While I can't remember much of the details, I do remember reading a newspaper article about a home invasion-type crime several years ago where one of the home-owners (husband) was reported to have been killed and found with an empty revolver in, or near, his hand. If I remember right, his surviving spouse used a weapon dropped by one of the suspects, and she may have killed one of the attacking suspects. Anybody who remembers this incident in northern California with accurate details feel free to clarify.

Considering where I currently live in the foothills of a major metropolitan valley (until I retire), I've decided that having anywhere from 8-10 rounds at hand in a pistol equipped with night sights, versus 5 rounds in a revolver, is enough to satisfy my perceived needs.

During my activities and travels by day, though, I'm generally well satisfied with one or another of my lightweight J-frames, generally a 642. As Homerboy says, it's just so light and easy to carry. I carry anywhere from a couple of speedstrips to several speedloaders, depending on my method of carry and manner of dress. There are occasions when I opt for a pistol and one or two spare magazines, but the small, lightweight j-frames are simply much easier to adapt to my daily needs and activities. I'm past the point when I desire to lug around a full-size revolver or pistol as a matter of course when I'm on my own time. Occasionally, yes, if I feel the anticipated circumstances merit it ... but not as a matter of course.

Quote:
With a pregnant wife in the next room, I want to be prepared for the worst, you know?
Congrats on the new child Homerboy.

Since you say you're a retired cop, though, I don't really want to ask whether you're already of grandfather age ... ... or whether you simply retired early. Raising a child is pretty much a new 20-year service hitch, you know.

Oh yeah ... I'd also keep the revolvers in the safe instead of selling them. Sounds like a nice collection of working revolvers. I'm certainly glad I kept my 649, SP-101DAO and my old well-used and nicely tuned Service-Six, instead of selling them once I started carrying my 642. After the 649 had sat in the safe for a few years I rediscovered why I originally liked it in the first place, and it's seeing more service as an off-duty weapon again. I've long since decided to never again sell a handgun which has proven itself to be of good quality and function, even if I lose interest in it for a while.

Page generated in 0.04139 seconds with 8 queries