View Single Post
Old July 13, 2018, 12:32 PM   #14
jmr40

Unfortunately I think Academy made the right call. I have some friends who work undercover in Walmarts. They push a shopping cart around all day pretending to shop while observing customers. They are also in contact with security viewing CCTV.

Their policy is to observe and report, nothing else. They tell me that over 90% of thieves are caught. Many before they get out the door. When security cameras pick up something police are called and are quite often waiting in the parking lot to get them as they come out the door. If not cameras can get a tag number. Even without a tag number police can usually look at security tape and make a positive ID. For most thieves it ain't their 1st time.

When employees try to detain thieves lots of bad things can happen. What if the employee is wrong about the suspected thief, or tries to detain the wrong person. That has happened before and people have pulled guns on store employees who wrongly tried to detain them. What if the thief pulls a gun and innocent shoppers are hit by gunfire. Thieves being chased have ran over innocent shoppers in parking lots trying to get away. If anyone is injured, even the bad guy, there will be a lawsuit and the store will lose.

Quote:
quoted the criminal telling police that he would steal again when he got out of jail, that he would steal guns, he was going to shoot someone, and they would see him on the news.

And he's on the street again, now, released pre-trial with restraining orders preventing him from going to Academy and another place where he stole a gun.
That is a breakdown of the justice system. After making those remarks he shouldn't be on the streets. But I can't blame Academy for that.

FWIW, while I think Academy made the correct call, the manager won't have any problems finding another job.

Winston Churchill

Page generated in 0.04881 seconds with 8 queries