Thread: S&W Model 659
View Single Post
Old October 16, 2012, 10:32 AM   #11
carguychris

Quote:
The safety is unusual on the 745 in that it has zero interaction with the trigger, the hammer can be dropped in any state of the safety. Firing pin is blocked/locked only when the safety is on.
Will the hammer of a M745 drop against the engaged safety? If so, I was unaware of this. AFAIK the only somewhat commonplace pistols that will do this are the Walther PK380 and P22 and the Mauser HSc, but perhaps the M745 needs to be added to the list.

FWIW I'm not a fan of this system for HD/SD/LE pistols because of the uncertainty that may occur when the hammer falls but the pistol doesn't go BANG! If the safety is engaged, I prefer a trigger that locks up solid (e.g. M1911) or flops around uselessly (conventional S&W TDA) so the shooter instantly knows the nature of the problem.

Also, I believe that the M745 has a trigger-actuated firing pin block like all other 2nd-gen TDAs, but I could be mistaken.

Last edited by carguychris; October 16, 2012 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Forgot the P22!

Page generated in 0.02418 seconds with 8 queries