View Single Post
Old August 8, 2018, 03:37 PM   #70
spacemanspiff

I totally forgot about this thread~!

Quote:
Just to run on a bit more about the moose. A moose is supposed to be capable of 35 mph, or 50 fps. Even going about half that, 30 fps, a moose can probably start a charge and cover fifty feet in about a second, give or take. This situation should give plenty of warning signs, not like having a timer. So, I guess that I could probably put a round or two into a charging moose, but i would be much smarter to duck. My handgun has no knockdown power, and that moose is coming at me like a tractor.
If a moose was a predator like a wolf or bear, then yeah, break out the 50bmg derringer and the 17hmr full auto minigun and go to town on any moose that dares get within 100 feet of you.

but the reality is, most bad moose encounters involve getting between a mama and her calf, or between a bull and a cow during mating season. Theres plenty of warning signs that will indicate a moose is preparing to charge. They might be able to run fast but they are not like a cheetah and able to cover distance in an instant from a dead stop. And if you have found yourself within that 50 feet or 21 feet and NOT noticed there is a moose that is 6 feet at the shoulders grunting and stomping the ground with its hooves, then the problem is not with the moose, its with YOU. Put a tree between you and the moose and your are fine. get behind a car.

I've had my share of run-ins with moose while hiking or biking. They want to be left alone more than anything and will ignore a human unless they are endangering their baby.

Page generated in 0.02504 seconds with 8 queries