View Single Post
Old July 15, 2012, 07:32 PM   #9
dacaur

Quote:
Actually, my point had more to do with temperature sensitivity: deserts in Iraq, mountains in Afghanistan, 24x7x365 they do not see a life and death need to use "less temp sensitive" extruded powders. That tells me the difference is not significant.

BTW, the long distance sniper confirmed kill records are at over 2,500 yards. Do you wound deer at those ranges?
Right, and they use different powder in the .338 lapua and .50BMG sniper rounds than they do in the normal grunt .556, but thats besides the point.

A load developed at 90 degrees which is then used at 40 degrees is going to show a lot more variance than one developed at 80 then shot at 120....... But that too, is besides the point.

Temperature sensativity is rendered moot if you sight in at the temps you will be using the gun at, Plus, the army doesnt tailor loads to guns like we do for normal use.

In any case, if you dont believe that temp changes affect POI, then thats your choice, if a silly one.

It is NOT, however, an "old wives tale". Its a true fact of life, which hogdons extreme powders take out of the equation, so that I dont have to worry about re sighting my rifle if the temp swings 30 degrees from one day to the next as its apt to do during hunting season... I can develop a load during the summer at 90-100 degrees, check my zero one last time in the fall at 70 degrees, then hunt in temps from 15-60 degrees, and not have to worry about a POI shift anywhere along the way.

Before you call something an old wives tale, perhaps you should do some testing on it so you know what you are talking about?

Page generated in 0.03044 seconds with 8 queries