View Single Post
Old January 16, 2012, 10:47 PM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

The real point to these signs is not to infringe on our Second Amendment rights, its to protect their business. They are not so stupid as to actually believe that a criminal is deterred by the sign, nor are they worried about those people who lawfully carry becoming robbers.

What they worry about is the other people, their customers, who a) feel safe and protected by the sign, and b) (and most importantly) are freaked out by seeing firearms in any setting outside of a range, police officer or hunter in the field (and many are freaked out by hunters).

They are afraid that if these people see someone with a gun in the store, they will stop shopping there. And that is a larger chunk of their business base than CCW holders.

It boils down to simple economics. OR, at least, that's how they justify it. I'm sure their insurance also plays a part in it. If someone had an accidental discharge/negligent discharge, or even a deliberate shooting, if they "allowed" that person on their premises, then they would be held liable.

This is something I have never quite been able to understand about our laws. IF a third party breaks the law about shooting someone, how can the property owner be held responsible if there was no rule about them being armed on the property? But if there is a rule that says "no guns" then the property owner is blameless? Oh, I know the argument, that if they allow arms on their property they are responsible because third party misuse is a "forseeable circumstance"?

Seems to me that if I "allow" rain to fall on my place, then someone drowning would be a "forseeable circumstance" as well, wouldn't it? Or that arson was a forseeable circumstance because something in my place will burn?

Sad, but that seems to be the insurance companies and courts think these days.

Page generated in 0.03700 seconds with 8 queries