View Single Post
Old July 26, 2010, 04:20 PM   #30
Glenn Dee

OK..

Yes I am a retired police officer. I have carried an impact weapon for my entire career. Now I carry one once in a while when doing security details.

Unlike many... I got to try out various impact weapons in ahhh some stressfull situations.

Impact weapons like firearms have their own niche within the force continum.

I have been trained in, and used
ASP Colapsable baton ... Not very impressed with the intimidation factor or the results. IMO the asp is a law suit waiting to happen for any civilian.

PR24 Side handle baton. Not a bad tool but still essentially a night stick. Requires much training, and a lot of memory space. Requires too much decision making during the fight. Unless of course you use it as a night stick. I have been beaten with PR24's They dont really hurt when used properly. Just ask Rodeney King.

Night stick. Nice window dressing if it's made of pine. If it's a cocobolo, or ironwood stick. You have yourself a weapon that will work every time. Minimal training needed. ( you need to be tought where NOT to hit someone)
Intimidation factor is very high... It's just a piece of wood. No one will ever doubt that getting hit with a piece of wood will hurt. No one wants to get hit with a piece of wood. Plastic?, a little rod? Not so scary. Night sticks are easier to retain, and much easier to transition to your hand gun, and retain control over the impact weapon. Can you tell I prefer the night stick?...lol

Day stick ( for you real old timers) Or rubber trunchion. The ones we had were hollow, and could be filled with the weighted substance of choice. But pretty much useless. But you needed one to get a uniform check.

Black-Jack, or Weighted slapper. Dangerous tools. Too easy to use enough force to cave in a skull. Those guys who trained me, and others like me are all but gone now. This is truely a tool for professionals, and thugs. I wouldnt recomend any civilian carrying one... But... If you must... nothing works better. In some jurisdictions they are listed as deadly weapons.

4 Cell maglite. IMO not such a good idea for a policeman. But an exelent idea for a civilian. Hey it's a flashlight. OK so it's a 12" long weighted metal flashlight... but It's still a flashlight. It's not intimidating it's a flashlight... but it is intimidating. It's not a dedicated impact weapon... But it sure will do the job of one. I think it may be easier to explain hitting someone with a flashlight than it would a professional police tool.

Just my own experiences. maybe someone else will chime in with their own.

Glenn Dee

Page generated in 0.03561 seconds with 8 queries