View Single Post
Old July 11, 2009, 11:30 AM   #24
OJ

I bought a Mossberg 464 lever rifle 30-30 - magazine holds six (6) rounds - extractor failed before one magazine full was fired. Sent it to their "repair" which is in Texas - not even in the same state as the factory and got it back in about six weeks.

Started to load it when the screw holding the front stock in place broke. Local stores/gunsmiths didn't have a screw that fit so we contacted the repair facility - who wanted me to return it to them. I convinced them - with some difficulty - I had a screwdriver and could just replace the broken one if they would just send it to me.

Finally got the screw and tried loading it again but, it wouldn't load and unload a full magazine without malfunction.

Reported this on the lever gun forum and the same type experiences were numerous - one reported the extractor failed on the first round.

Review of Gun Digests from the mid 1990s revealed they had produced some half dozen or so 30-30 lever guns that somehow didn't make it for long - the 464 lever 30-30 was advertised as a new venture for Mossberg - clearly a flagrant lie. It was reviewed in several gun "rags" including NRA Rifleman (which I had tended to hold to a higher standard - again WRONG) - all reporting it to be a great gun!!

Now I have a rifle I wouldn't sell or even give away - knowing what I'd think of someone who I'd received the rifle from. It's junk!! Worse than that, I'd invested a fair sum for XS ghost ring sights the reside on that piece of junk before receiving the rifle - have to call it "tuition" - I guess.

It's been said the school of hard knocks differs from formal education in that you get the test first, then the lesson.

When I returned it the first time to my long time friend and dealer, he informed me that Mossberg had produced a new shotgun and they couldn't get enough firing pins to replace the ones in the new gun that failed - eventually, the "repair" facility just sent them out by the handful.

Mossberg is #1 on my s___ list and I will never consider one again !!

:barf:
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Last edited by OJ; July 11, 2009 at 12:18 PM.

Page generated in 0.02405 seconds with 8 queries