View Single Post
Old May 6, 2009, 04:32 AM   #40
Doggieman

Quote:
Transportation of Firearms FAQ's for CA, USA
http://www.calgunlaws.com/index.php/...-firearms.html
I have a major problem with this FAQ "answer," which I believe to be in error:

------------------------------
Can I continually carry a handgun in my car in a locked container other than the utility or glove compartment for self-defense? I do not have a concealed weapons permit.

Written by Administrator
Monday, 29 November 1999 16:00

No. The legal authorization to transport a concealed handgun without a permit unloaded and in a motor vehicle's trunk or a separate locked container in Penal Code Section 12026.1 applies only while going to or from the specific places, and for the specific purposes, identified in Penal Code Section 12026.2 (going hunting, to or from a range, etc.). It is illegal to carry a concealed handgun without a permit for general purposes, such as self defense, even though the firearm is transported in the trunk of a motor vehicle or in a separate locked container. Section 12026.1 is not very clear on this point, but Section 12026.2 is, so it is prudent to read them together. Again, handguns being lawfully transported concealed in a motor vehicle's trunk or in a separate locked container cannot be loaded nor can ammunition be attached to them in any manner.
Last Updated ( Tuesday, 28 April 2009 10:35 )

------------------------------

There is nothing that says that 12026.1 "applies only while going to or from the specific places, and for the specific purposes, identified in Penal Code Section 12026.2." I don't know where they got that.

12026.2 and 12027 are blanket limitations on 12025. They both start out with "Section 12025 does not apply to, or affect, any of the
following:" They have nothing to do with 12026.1, they are just poorly numbered.

In fact all those sections are rather poorly drafted, but I'm not understanding where people think that 12026.2 somehow limits 12026.1. There's nothing in either that references the other, and there's nothing in the code other than the numbering that indicates that they have any bearing on one another.

Unless there's a case actually addressing this issue, and I'd love it if someone could point me to it.

Page generated in 0.04259 seconds with 8 queries