View Single Post
Old January 18, 2012, 04:07 PM   #18
David Wile

Hey folks,

It must be more than 40 years now that I have been using a cast aluminum RCBS powder trickler. I like the idea of the metal trickler so it is heavier and stays still while using it. I only had it a few days when I was casting bullets and had a bright idea about how to make my RCBS powder trickler even heavier.

I used a 1/4" bit to drill two holes 180 degrees apart near the top of the hollow aluminum base. I then taped the outside of the holes shut, turn the trickler upside down, and then filled the base with molten lead. The lead filled the base as well as the two drilled holes. When it hardened, the lead "arms" in the holes kept the lead plug from falling out of the bottom, and I ended up with a powder trickler that really was very stable with its low center of gravity.

For those who may want to do the same thing, I would suggest removing the trickler tube and any plastic parts before pouring molten lead in the base. Aluminum transfers the heat so well I suspect it could melt any plastic parts attached during the pouring.

About 15 years ago I also bought an electric vibratory trickler more out of curiosity than need. It turned out to work very well, as long as you can deal with the idea of a cord running to an outlet. I have four outlets on the front of my bench, but the cord still seems out of place. In spite of that, I still use the vibratory trickler on the bench and use my old RCBS trickler when I take my hand loading equipment on the road.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

Page generated in 0.03676 seconds with 8 queries