View Single Post
Old August 29, 2013, 08:45 AM   #12
Magnum Wheel Man

My 416 Rigby is a ***** cat to shoot... of course the decelerator pad, & heavy barrel help some...

I agree with the Marlin Guide gun... I have some loads I picked up from a Mag article where the author took it to Africa to shoot cape buffalo ( actually killed 2 with one shot ( to the professional hunters disproval ) shot through both shoulders of a bull, exited & killed the cow standing behind as well...

when I 1st tried these loads in my Guide Gun, by 6-8 shots, I dislodged the factory sights

another option...you could pick up the light weight H&R rifled 12 ga chambered for 3.5" magnum shells... my smaller stature buddy bought one... after the 1st shot, I held up my arm, & stopped his rearward progress about 10ft from where he 1st stood when he pulled the trigger...

another, pick up a 8mm milsurp carbine, with the steel butt plate & straight stock... I sighted in one of these for my FIL many years ago... in the fall, with an army field jacket & sweatshirt on, I still ended up with a very bruised shoulder after 15-20 rounds fired... at least this one would give you a badge of honor for a while after you got done...

the 45-70 can be handloaded hot & reasonably cheaply, the 3.5" magnum slugs aren't cheap, but way, way less than the magnum rifle cartridges listed... but the 8mm milsurp ammo is probably the cheapest route to go...

Page generated in 0.02719 seconds with 8 queries