View Single Post
Old December 14, 2005, 02:15 PM   #9
guntotin_fool

Florida also had a terrible problem with tourists being assualted on the highways(rest areas), seniors being robbed and assualted in daylight, drug gangs having broad daylight shootouts etc. Once the aforementioned sherrif had given out the permits and DT miami did not turn into Tombstone, people started to look closer at the issue, and out of that came the non resident permit, the removal of the flee first clause, and several other more gun friendly statutes.

The non resident permits became a big deal as people from the north (snowbirds) heading south, were becoming afraid of traveling south, which was putting a big hurt on the winter hospitality industry in Fl. But if a non resident could get a gun permit, Then it was assumed (rightly so) that BG's would not target out of state plates because the chances that out of towner had a permit and could defend themself rose drastically. The removal of the flee first clause was important as it gave seniors a sense of impowerment by saying that no matter what if you are in imminent danger for your life or property, you had the states blessing to defend yourself and your belongings. you did not have to run away, try to leave or give up your car if carjacked, just shoot. It worked very well, I own a home in florida and my parents winter there, I am amazed at the number of older people I see at the resturants, the malls even the golf clubs who carry(ok not on the course, but they have the holster on the pants when they change in the locker room.) many just palm the pistol into the golf bag.
I do not know the numbers of permit holders, but in the greater tampa area it has to be 5% to 10 % of the population from my perspective.

Page generated in 0.03517 seconds with 8 queries