View Single Post
Old November 23, 2001, 06:55 PM   #13
boris_01

Pawcatch. You said it all in your post. You said that German Shepherd dogs make better guard dogs. We ARE talking about guard or protection dogs. Also you stated about pit bulls vs wild boar and pit bulls vs other dogs. People ain't dogs or wild boar. Yes pit bulls are aggressive. They are bred to be that way. But towards other dogs. The breed came about as a gaming breed. ( Dog fighting). They were not meant to be man fighters. They were bred with the dominance and territorial traits that would make them dog aggressive. Now I'm not knocking pit bulls. They tend to be great pets. And some of the most loving pets. But the fact is they were not bred for the traits that make a good candidate for a protection dog. If they were, as I stated in my earlier post, police and military would use them. They don't. Now don't get aggressive sounding barking or showing teeth confused to be a sign of being a good protection dog. A lot of the time the dogs who bark the loudest and act the toughest are masking their insecurities and fears. Now that is not a put down at all. It takes a very confident dog to make a real protection dog. It has to be sure under load noises, overcome pain, obstacles and threat of injury by it's desire to bite. A lot of pit bulls have the prey drive to want to bite the sleeve. But when there is a man attached to the sleeve, they tend to be reluctant to bite. And they can sometimes be worked to bite to where they can look impressive to unknowlegable people. But knowlegable trainers can tell. And you don't want to wait till the dog is put to the test to find out it won't bite for real. NOW, There are exceptions. I have seen some pitbulls as good as anyone would want from any breed. BUT, They are few and far between. I speak of the breed in general and as a whole. Now if you have a pit bull, you may have that exceptional one. But before you try to train it in protection work, have it evaluated by several different trainers knowlegable in training protection dogs. Don't just take one trainers word for it.

Page generated in 0.02877 seconds with 8 queries