View Single Post
Old February 7, 2014, 04:27 PM   #6
BigJimP

Beretta O/U's compared to most Browning Citori's ...will usually be a little lighter - Beretta also tends to be a little narrower in the grip area...and the barrel to receiver connection on a Citori and a Beretta are very different / but both adequate - although I think the Citori is stronger.

On many Berettas the drop at comb and heel will be different than the comparable Citori model ...

There is no right or wrong answer - or any feature that says buy one or the other, in my view.

It comes down to what fits you ( so it hits where you look - your eye is the rear sight on a shotgun / so stock dimensions are critical )/ what swing characteristics you like - what works for you / what weight, barrel length etc....

I'm a Browning guy ...and I own more than a few of the Citori's ( in all 4 gauges ) ...so I favor the Lightning or most any Browning Citori over any of the Beretta models ...because they suit me better, fit me better than any of the Berettas ( Browning Cynergy models, to me, feel more like the Berettas -- and I don't care for them either ).

My field gun of choice...is the Citori XS Skeet models ( no longer in the catalog ) and my 20ga version of that model has 30" barrels and weights about 7.5 lbs --- it has a parallel adjustable comb which suits me much better than any of the Lightning models ....and I add about 8oz of lead tape under forearm ..and 8oz of lead tape inside stock - to increase that 20ga ( and my 28ga and .410 also built on the 20ga receiver in that model ) so they feel and swing like my 12ga version of the same model ( I use lead - golf club tape)...

If I want to go with a lighter gun in the field...for upland birds / I may go with my Benelli Super Sport semi auto ...in a 12ga, with 30" barrel at 7.2 lbs ....or in a 20ga with a 28" barrel and only 6.2 lbs...( but if a gun gets too short / or too light ) to me now, not to you ....I find it whippy and I tend to slap at targets or birds vs making a smooth shot ..../ so you have to find that compromise...

I'd suggest shooting a lot of Skeet or Sporting Clays ...where you get a lot of left to right barrel movement ...and try and figure out what length, weight, etc feels right to you. / talk to a lot of shooters ...see if some of them will let you put a few shells thru their guns ...try and figure this out before you spend something over $2K on a shotgun that you may end up not liking very much.

But you won't get a bad gun from either Beretta or Browning ...

Last edited by BigJimP; February 7, 2014 at 04:37 PM.

Page generated in 0.04147 seconds with 8 queries