View Single Post
Old September 16, 2010, 05:34 PM   #16
Baba Louie

Quote:
my father has a glock 21 (.45 ACP,) and the recoil on it is not terribly bad, my fathers .357 blackhawk kicks harder. (Also the Glock is much lighter than the black hawk.)

Will a .45 colt round be harder (recoil wise) than the .45 ACP, or .357?
Depends on the firearm. Glocks tend to shoot slower with the frame flexing/taking some of the felt recoil (in my experience). Wheelguns, like your Dad's Blackhawk tend to "rollup" in your hand depending on the grip shape with nothing to flex or slide back and forth.

The .357 is quite a bit different round than the old .45acp. depending on the load... we're talking velocity. Pretty snappy in some guns (e.g., J frame vs. N frame) you get both bark and bite.

Depending on the frame size, barrel length, grip shape, etc, the older .45LC is typically loaded to pressure levels the older guns can handle and should offer no more recoil than the other two mentioned. (the semiauto .45 absorbing some of the energy w/ the slide action) If the pistol has the old plowshare grips familar to most SAA's it should rollup in your hand a bit, which aids somewhat in cocking the hammer back for the next round.

If you do not reload and you do buy a .45 Colt, plan on spending some $$ on ammo. Or reloading equipment...
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address

Page generated in 0.02580 seconds with 8 queries