View Single Post
Old August 9, 2008, 10:11 AM   #27
pax

threegun,

My apologies. I did not realize I was assuming. I was reacting to your first post, where you said:

Quote:
I ask because I out perform friends, two of which have attended multiple expensive shooting schools, in every exercises.
Others have pointed out that your friends may not be the best yardstick. I'll go one step further and say that your friends probably shoot better than they would shoot if they hadn't had that formal training. If they started with less natural talent than you, or if they have practiced significantly less than you, their trained shooting might still fall behind your natural talent. But that doesn't mean that you couldn't improve past that point, only that they haven't done so yet.

And my assumption that you already know how to shoot also came from this post, where you said:

Quote:
Say for example I run my LRRF drill. I draw, run, and fire in the direction my partner calls until he changes my direction either left, right, rear, or forward. I can't figure what bad habits could be identified so long as my grip is proper and handling safe.
There's an assumption about your own ability somewhere in there...

And I was reacting to this post, where you said:

Quote:
Now I can afford to attend but I don't feel that I will learn enough to justify the cost.
And to this comment:

Quote:
After years of shooting threegun matches I have definitely learned to chew gum and walk at the same time.
Good. (I'm steadily resisting the temptation to open up the ancient and never-to-be-settled discussion about whether competition is really good preparation for self defense. Truly? Competition shooters usually shoot better than non-competition shooters, and often have better gun handling skills. But their mindset tends to go to pot, and they often have ingrained dangerous habits -- not dangerous gun handling habits, for they're usually exceptionally safe gun handlers -- but dangerous physical habits like barely getting halfheartedly behind cover.)

And then you posted:

Quote:
I can do it all from engaging multiple targets to shooting on the move. From what to do if the gun malfunctions to what to do if the bullets fail to stop. Transitioning from one platform to another willingly and after a failure. From weapon retention to point shooting. I run scenario based drills also. Plus much more that I can't think of now.
So I don't really think I was assuming much when I said you'd go into a class knowing it all. From all the above, it sure sounds as if you are convinced you already know everything you need to know.

So why in the world would you pay good money to have an instructor tell you that you don't?

Quote:
Whats missing beside the critiquing of any bad habits or time consuming unnecessary movements?
Seriously and I am not being sarcastic here. This is exactly analogous to a cook asking her guests: "Now, what's wrong with the meal, except for the little bit of poison I mixed into the main dish and the pile of dirt-covered rocks I put on your plates alongside it?"

The presence of bad habits = danger = poison.

The presence of time consuming unnecessary movements = stuff you actively do not want = dirt-covered rocks on your dinner plate.

pax

Page generated in 0.03225 seconds with 8 queries