View Single Post
Old November 29, 2009, 10:24 AM   #16
kraigwy

SWCs for the 45 ACPs are normally loaded light and were used as target rounds for the CF portion of the NRA Bullesye matches. They were loaded by factorys that know how to load SWCs in 45s that allow them to feed relability.

I dont know of any factory SWCs that are loaded hot or to the standards(velocities) of Hardball.

Then along comes us reloaders with the ideal that we want SWCs loaded to hardball velocities. Only we dont know how to handload SWCs. We think we have to stick to the published overall length of 45s, which often leave the should of the SWC bullet sticking out of the case. (the 45 headspaces on the mouth of the case. You load the SWC bullet out, where the shoulder the gun tries to headspace on the bullet instead of the case, and JAMS OCCURE.)

But since we know all about reloading, we know its not our loads but our guns so we start ginding or filing on the gun polishing this and that untill nothing works. So we say SWCs dont work for defence and go back to hardball, hollow points or whatever. The Semi gets a bad rep.

The SWC in 45s will work as a defence round, you can shoot them faster then the target loads and if loaded properly they will function. SWCs will make a better defence round then the RNs ball, just as the 158 grn 38s in SWCs work better then the 158 round nose bullets.

You just have to load them propertly. Make sure you push the bullet deep enough in the case the shoulder of the bullet isnt sticking out fooling the gun into thinking thats where its suppose to headspace. If I load a batch of SWCs and they dont function, I dould I can fix the problem by tweaking the round (leaving the pistol alone) by running the case back in the seating die and pushing it a tad bet deeper.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.03601 seconds with 8 queries