View Single Post
Old April 6, 2009, 03:21 PM   #1
savage36

Stuck Case in Garand

My Garand started holding on to my cases and I am convinced that it is due to corosion in the chamber. The problem started shortly after I started using Korea surplus ammo that I have since discovered is corrosive. Prior to that I used modern factory and Greek Surplus with the occasional clip of LC 39 and 42 vintage stuff. Rounds will chamber without a problem and unfired rounds come out without a problem. Fired cases stay stuck in the chamber and the extractor just rips past the head and trys to chamber the next round. Once tapped out, a fired case will not chamber all the way. Fired rounds from my 03 also will not chamber into the Garand, (surplus as well as reloaded LC) so the loading or the brass problem seems to be ruled out. With a magnifying glass I can see some very small pitting in the chamber but nothing major.
Short of handing this problem over to a gunsmith for a reaming, is there a way to really grind down and remove the corosion in the chamber-maybe use an acid based cleaning product and steel wool? I've read some helpful posts here with good advise and wondered if anyone has had the same problem. Thanks, Bob

Page generated in 0.02871 seconds with 8 queries