View Single Post
Old September 18, 2000, 06:28 PM   #25
Chris McDermott

Individually - yes, secretly, not really. I'll tell you what pressure signs I use - I mike the case heads of unfired brass to .0001" and see how much they expand. Look in your loading manuals and the magazines for photographs of flattened and pierced primers. There are lots of discussions here and in your loading books on the characteristics of different powders - use magnum primers and don't do reduced loads using H110/W296 because of hang fires and erratic pressures with this hard to ignite powder; how IMR's 700X and 800X pressure changes become extreme at high pressures (demostration example only - 1 grain at 25000 PSI raises the pressure to 26000, but 1 grain at 35000 PSI raises the pressure to 40000 PSI); how & why Ruger's models are stronger than the matching Smith & Wesson or Colt models (offset bolt cuts in the cylinder, larger cylinder made of better steel).
It's a matter of your learning how to do it yourself, and not just following my recipe that is for my gun, not yours.

Someday I hope to put together an Oehler Model 43 with a TC Encore (very strong action, easy caliber changes and I won't mind glueing the pressure sensor to the barrel) and be able to get pressure information as well as velocity and ballistic coefficents for all of the calibers I use, but that's in the future (hopefully near future but I am still adding to my collection of S&W revolvers so it keeps getting put off when I finally find yet another model I've wanted).
I probably still won't post loads hotter than the loading manuals, but I will be able to give the pressures I find in my setup when someone does.

[This message has been edited by Chris McDermott (edited September 18, 2000).]

Page generated in 0.02065 seconds with 8 queries