View Single Post
Old June 21, 2018, 03:34 AM   #20
Jeff22

Since 1982 I've been to almost 50 shooting classes. Some were a day long, many were two days long, and several (NRA LE Instructor Classes) were a week long. Sometimes my PD paid me to go and often I went on my own time and almost always had to buy my own ammo and pay the tuition and expenses.

It was lots of fun and I learned a lot of things from people who knew more than I did or different than I did.

The focus of my training was mostly what was useful to an armed citizen or to a cop working uniformed patrol (lots of overlap there).

I've never been to Gunsite or Thunder Ranch or anyplace like that.

In that time I've only attended two classes that were oriented toward competition shooters, one from Jerry Barnhart and one from Mike Seeklander. I learned some useful things in those classes too. (I shoot USPSA and IDPA on the local level when my schedule permits)

I think lots of people would benefit from formal instruction and would learn new things and enjoy it, if they were to find a class that met their particular goals. The skills an armed private citizen needs are one thing, and the skills a patrol officer needs are another thing and the skills a SWAT team member are yet another thing, and there is a lot of overlap in certain areas and some things are entirely different. Best to find training that addresses your particular circumstance.

Page generated in 0.03571 seconds with 8 queries