View Single Post
Old June 20, 2018, 04:24 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Biglove92,

Since I don't see any rub marks around the chambering stamp on the side of the barrel shroud (or seat; actually part of the receiver in that gun; the chamber is the recess in the breech end of the barrel that holds the cartridge while it fires), I doubt that it the cause of the friction you feel. If the gun was fully assembled when you made this test and the hammer was cocked, you will notice that when you pull the slide back, it comes to a point in its backward travel where it starts to depress the hammer further than full cock, as it must do to ensure it always depresses it far enough to cock. I suspect the drag of the hammer nose on the underside of the slide is what you are feeling. If you hold the hammer down hard with your thumb while you work the slide, do you still feel the rubbing? If not, that's what you feel.

If you do still feel the friction, it is also possible it is the disconnector. Either way, take a Q-tip and apply a Teflon-bearing gun oil on the underside of the slide where it rubs these parts and rack the slide back repeatedly to work the Teflon into the surface. See if that helps. If not, you may be in for detail disassembly and looking for rough spots in the slide and disconnector and on the hammer nose that need polishing.

Also, note that failure to cycle in any semi-auto pistol can be caused by not having a rigid enough grip on it. This problem is unflatteringly referred to as limp-wristing the gun. A straight single arm or a strong two-handed hold with the gun hand wrist rigid and a firm grasp on the grip frame during firing is often required, especially with lightweight pistols. Firing from the hip with a bent elbow, for example, may garner malfunctions as compared to a straight arm hold. This is not a revolver. The issue is that something needs to keep the frame in place while inertia in the slide is acting to cock the hammer and get the slide back far enough to strip the next round from the magazine.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Page generated in 0.03419 seconds with 8 queries