View Single Post
Old April 10, 2016, 08:34 AM   #12
JeepHammer

Unclenick,
ATK got the standards for military brass changed to civilian standards in 2012, and the flame annealing is out, induction annealing, the same way civilian brass has been done since the 70's, in the door when they took over Lake City ammunition plant.

Probably had something to do with that HUGE 'Civilian' government contract homeland security pushed through causing all the shortages in components & loaded ammunition.

Homeland wanted sealed bullets, sealed primers, crimped primers, ect., built to military specifications, and the 'Civilian' plants couldn't keep up,
So ATK simply got the the 'Military' standards changed to what 'Civilian' contractors were making at the time.
Military cases since 2012 are EXACTLY the same as SAAMI cases now, I can't find one iota of difference, and once I learned about the 2012 thing last year on a tour of the Federal plant in Anoka, MN. I know why...
(I'm always the last to know anything )

ATK is partnered with General Dynamics, and much of the brass was coming in marked 'General Dynamics' with 'Federal' head stamp when I was up there.
I don't know if ATK owns General Dynamics, or the other way around, or it's a partnership, but truckloads of General Dynamics brass was flowing into Federal with Federal head stamps...
The plant was running 24/7/365 and probably 50 trucks unloaded on the day we were roaming around up there.

This year we went to Remington, and they were making their own brass on site.
Don't know what Winchester is up to, haven't been there in a few years.

Page generated in 0.03462 seconds with 8 queries