View Single Post
Old July 28, 2009, 03:07 PM   #17
stevieboy

You get what you pay for. If you want a revolver that will last for thousands of rounds, shoot accurately, and not spray lead shavings everywhere, get a Smith & Wesson. Yes, a Smith is more expensive (substantially more expensive) than Charter Arms or Taurus but it will pay for itself immediately, with its exceptional quality, and over time, with its durability. Currently, Smith makes two basic models of .22 lr revolvers, the K-frame (model 617) and the smaller J-frame (model 63). There are some variations, too, like the ultralightweight 317 (J-frame).

Personally, I'd recommend a 617. You can buy a new one for about $650 or so, with a 4" or 6" barrel. It holds 10 rounds. The gun has an excellent trigger and is exceptionally accurate, so much so, that it can hold its own with most target semiautos. It is fairly heavy, weighing 40 ounces +. It is intended to serve as an analogue to Smith's K- and L-frame revolvers in larger calibers, like the .357 magnum 686, and it feels exactly like the larger caliber gun when held, pointed, and shot.

The 63 is smaller, and much more compact. It's a few (very few) dollars cheaper than the 617, and holds 8 rounds. It's the .22 caliber analogue of Smith's J-frame .38 and .357 revolvers. I'm not a huge fan of the gun for serious target shooting because the trigger is much heavier than the 617 trigger. That's because the gun uses a coil spring rather than a leaf spring to activate the hammer. Some people love it, however, as a compact take anywhere gun.

There are, of course, numerous used versions of both guns out there for less than the current asking price. I have a 6-shot 4" 617-1 made back in about 1993 and I paid substantially less for it than I would have paid for a new one. It shoots just as well. The older model K-frame .22s are the K-22, the 17, and the 18. All of them are in blue steel (the 617 is stainless) and they often command premium prices because they are sought after by collectors. The predecessor of the 63, in blue steel, is the model 34, and it, too, tends to be highly sought after.

Page generated in 0.03877 seconds with 8 queries