View Single Post
Old December 8, 1999, 03:26 AM   #1
six 4 sure

I need some advise on a 97 I saw a few days ago at the local gun shop that I'm thinking about buying.
First let me tell you the condition it is in, and then what I want to do with it.
Said gun has been midified (butchered) to be useed as a pucker gun. It has a 30"+ drawn barrel, it has been welded in such a way the gun can no longer be taken down, something has been done to the magazine tube making it impossible to load addiitonal ahells, it has been drilled an tapped for a scope, and the action is such it will fill while partially open, and the finish is very rough, it look as if parts may have painted,
The good news it is cheep, and very negotiable, the owner of the shop told me he would cut me a good deal, because there is not much of a market for pucker guns in my area.
Now here's what I'd like to do with it. I'd like the final product to resemle the trench gun version I've seen, basically something to take camping. I plan on cutting the barrel to 18 or 20", and probably rebluing it at some point. However, I like to be able to take down the gun, and I want to fix the magazine tube problem. I really don't want a single shot pump gun.
Does anyone have any experience working on 97's? Are they hard to work on? How difficult is it to find parts? Does anyone make accessories for them, I'd really like the bayonet lug.
Suggestions? Insights? Comments?
What would be the best first step in a project like this?
Would my best bet be waiting and trying to find a 97 in better condition?

------------------
As to marksmanship, it is not what you once did, rather it is what you can do on demand.

[This message has been edited by six 4 sure (edited December 08, 1999).]

Page generated in 0.02652 seconds with 8 queries