View Single Post
Old July 6, 2010, 03:28 AM   #54
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandg
If that was the attitude that the minutemen took, and they only defended their own lives and property, allowing the British to run roughshod over the public, disarming them, hanging them, taking their lands, well, we'd have lost.

The people who went to war in the 18th and 19th century to defend their fellow men were in the worst possible position. Read about bunker hill, Washington's men at valley forge, and so forth. These were men who left their families at home, knowing full well that marauders might burn their houses, kill their women and children, steal their livestock, and went to war under conditions that almost no modern american would tolerate for even a moment without abandoning whatever cause it was.

That wasn't sitting down on the bus or drawing a gun on an armed bandit, that was freezing to death in snow without shelter, dying of gangrenous bullet or bayonet wounds, loss of limbs, and horrendous things that people now can't even comprehend, much less accept as a risk that they must take as a duty to humanity.

One man in Yellowstone dove into a boiling hot spring to rescue a dog, but I'm hearing people here say that they wouldn't take a risk on an injury, criminal charges, lawsuit, death, or psychological pain to save another human's life.

I personally can't understand it at all. Millions of men took far greater risks than this, and did it just out of bravery of spirit and duty.

If my wife is made a widow, I'm sorry, but maybe someone else's wife won't be. She will be left with my insurance, at least, and maybe, the comfort that someone else will be alive, and maybe a dozen others because of my organs.

My mother died blind of neurological disease. Her corneas alone gave sight to two people. It was worth it.
Are you serious? You are comparing patriotic duty with defending someone elses property that is NOT YOURS TO DEFEND??? Would you like me to call McDonald's and a few other fast food chains to ask what THEY would have armed citizens do? I am almost CERTAIN that they would prefer their customers NOT get involved and start a gun battle in the store. Would you respect their rights to do what they want with their money? If an innocent person were to get shot or killed as a result of your actions, they may even try to prosecute you or hold you liable. I don't believe that any state has any type of Good Samaritan type laws that would protect you if something went wrong (unlike rendering first aid or CPR).

We are concealed weapons holders, not police officers. Despite my detest for scumbags that rob people at gun point, I was not appointed judge, jury, and executuioner. My rights as far as the use of lethal force are pretty clear. In Florida, it states that deadly force can be used to protect myself or another person from death or serious bodily harm or the prevention of a forcible felony such as rape, robbery, burglery, or kidnapping, it also states that carrying a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman or "good samaritan".

You may want to risk your life, your money, and your freedom to protect someone elses money. Protecting someone elses life is a more noble cause, but maybe your actions will turn a robbery into a shootout. Maybe other people will get killed as result of your actions. Think before you act!!!

Last edited by stephen426; July 6, 2010 at 03:45 AM.

Page generated in 0.03877 seconds with 8 queries