View Single Post
Old October 22, 2012, 12:15 AM   #3
frankgh

The Remington is in its new home. It's a Platinum Elite 48, not Premier. To get it into the the den, I had to take off the handle and dial. I thought about calling a locksmith but for what one would cost just to drive out here, I thought I might take a stab at it myself first. Between A1abdj'S posts on TFL, THR and AR15, (man, you get around) and the S&G videos on YouTube, it turned out to be a piece of cake.

Have you seen this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjmLG...eature=related

In the vid, he points out the torque adjustment gear underneath the lock wheels an then he says "don't touch it!". This safe is 10 years old and sat for a time maybe in a not climate controlled room. I did not find an corrosion in the lock or any thing like that but as I turn the dial, the drag increases as each wheel gets picked up. It was quite rough. I backed the torque adjustment off just one tooth and it smoothed right out. I thought about lubing the guts but read all the horror stories. The only synthetic lub I found was at Lowes. I don't remember the name but it was a clear yellow with a white substance on the bottom. Shake before use. It was VERY thin. I wouldn't even know how to apply it. Syringe maybe? Should I lub it and set the torque gear back where it was? It is working very smoothly now and I checked it +1-1, it worked fine. +2-2 it would not unlock. I think I'm ok but would love an expert opinion before I close the door and throw the bolts. Don't worry, I know since I worked on it, if it fails it is solely my fault!

Last edited by frankgh; October 22, 2012 at 12:20 AM.

Page generated in 0.02834 seconds with 8 queries