View Single Post
Old August 13, 2017, 09:36 AM   #41
redlightrich

Please continue to give info upon further testing

Hello Turtlehead. I have been watching with great interest, as I have a fairly new Model 41. It is NOT a PC model, and I do think your is beautiful. It took me a year to get the standard variety one.

I was very concerned, as I found many posts that described what you did, FTC, FTE so on.

When I finished fixing the small flaws that my 41 had, I was amazed at how well it ran, and how it would eat whatever I fed it.

It would always choke on the first round of the day, then it ran so darn well!!!

I shoot it very accurately, and the trigger feels great. Somehow, the trigger feels better than other guns with the same weight break.

After I got about 600 rounds thru her, she started acting up. Same issue, fail to chamber, fail to eject, the ejecting round jammed on top of the chambering round. Sometimes, I pull the trigger and click, empty chamber. This is all with CCI SV ammo. And yes, it was cleaned out thoroughly, and rails were oiled.

It really was acting as if it were short stroking.

If I use HV ammo, the issue goes away. I tried the same ammo in my Ruger ( which is the most reliable and NOT ammo picky of any 22 auto I ever seen) and it had a stovepipe.
I was thinking that I had a bad box or lot of CCI SV (035 part number)

Anyway, in deciding to clean, and try a different lot of CCI, I noticed that my extractor was exactly how your was?
I also did the "plunk" test with several different rounds and was surprised how loose the chamber is. I don't care, as the gun is very accurate, but I was really surprised to find such a loose chamber on an expensive target gun.

If the extractor is the issue, why did it take over 600 rounds to show itself? Was the new spring keeping enough pressure to hold the round on the bolt? Now that it set it wont?

I will test again with new ammo, but the extractor is still sitting proud of the rim. This is not right. I am sure SW will send a new one, but it too will sit proud.

I can modify it based on the link you provided, but I would just buy the VQ part and move on.

Please report back after some more shooting time, so we ( especially me) can learn if this is the true fix.

I do apologize for asking a question in your thread, but I also think it will become helpful to other 41 owners who search in the future.

Thank you, good luck and kind regards

Rich

Page generated in 0.03719 seconds with 8 queries