View Single Post
Old May 4, 2012, 02:55 PM   #16
F. Guffey

“I suppose the REM UMC brass has thicker rims?”

You have a case that will fit, you have a case that will not fit? I would first measure the thickness of the rim, the rim should measure .060 thousands. The rim on the case is designed to hold the case to the rear of the chamber, thick him cases, be happy. Check to determine the effect the thick him has on on off setting head space. And, the most difficult thing to do is find cases with thick rims.

“I guess I'll pick up another shell holder and see if it works in it”

Again, one case will fit, another will not, I would measure the diameter of the case ahead of the rim, the diameter, in the perfect world should be .480 thousandths.

If I was going to purchase another shell holder I would purchase a Lee, the RCBS is loose fitting on most cases, the Lee is more generous when it comes to fitting more loose. I do ‘things’ with shell holders reloaders never thought of, different shell holders have different features that were not intended when manufactured.

Again, when forming cases for short chambers there is a –.005 thousandths advantage when using a Lee shell holder when forming cases with 30/06 case heads.

Then there is the Super-X by Winchester, in my opinion they often share the same problem you describe with the UMC_REM. Because the problem is not with all Super-X cases I spend extra time taking other measurements.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.02993 seconds with 8 queries