View Single Post
Old August 17, 2011, 03:26 AM   #21
NWPilgrim

Both are great rifles and you will enjoy either of them for decades to come. No wrong choice.

First, I agree with a couple of posters that suggest you consider an M1 Garand from CMP (I like the Service Grade at $595). You can get surplus ammo from CMP for just under 50 cents/round. Not cheap but you won;t be hosing down targets with 200-300 rounds, or more, per range trip either. I just ought my third and it is a beaut! Only drawback is mounting a scope is not as clean as on the M1A, but you won't be spending $30 per mag either (more like $1.50 per clip).

If you are dead set on only an M1A or the AR15 then:

- M1A now that you have enough money saved. It will be harder to save that much a second time. Easier to get the M1A now and the less expensive AR15 later.

- On the other hand, the AR15 is more likely to be something your wife or eventually kids will want to shoot. So it may be more versatile for a family man. And the ammo is much cheaper, as are the mags ($12-$18). It is a LOT of fun to shoot.

If you live in a city then I think that favors the AR15 as you are more likely to be defending within a building and close quarters. If you live in the suburbs or rural area then I would lean toward the M1/M1A for SHTF as warding off thugs in vehicles may be some concern.

As another poster mentioned, you already have a decent battery of rifles. I would make sure you have a couple of pistols and lots of ammo for your primary pistol and rifle before buying another rifle. If TSHTF and all you have are lots of rifles with a box of ammo for each then you may wish you had more ammo and fewer guns.

I used to have an M1A, loved it but got laid off many years ago and sold it. Since then I bought a couple of Garands and then a couple of AR15s and then a third Garand. Two of the most fun rifles to shoot and they both have superb iron sights. I ought a PTR91 for a .308 semi auto, out of curiosity as well as it being about half the cost (used) as an M1A. My next rifle will be another bolt action and then another AR15, but with 20" barrel this time. The AR15 made it easier to get my sons-in-law to get interested in shooting and are now my best range buddies. They like the Garand but it is more of an old man's gun in their minds than the "modern" AR15.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison

Page generated in 0.02125 seconds with 8 queries