View Single Post
Old January 20, 2014, 03:57 PM   #6
ShaulWolf

I went to the dark side and did OCS, so I can't speak for the enlisted side of things. We didn't do any live fire training at OCS, but we spent quite a BT of time going over rifle and pistol training during The Basic School. There was a couple weeks of classes, marching to the range, snapping in, then taking turns doing a round robin with pulling targets, Table 1 for rifle, and pistol training. When we did rifle quals we did Tables 1 and 2 and the composite score is what qualified you. There was also a night live fire and unknown distance range with pop up targets that had to be engaged behind cover. The pistol quals was still pretty basic since it's a secondary weapon, and much more emphasis was placed on the M16A4. We also went over the M249, M203, and crew served weapons pretty well in depth. That was almost four years ago and I can still remember the manual of arms for it all. I'd need a refresher before doing stuff like disassembling and reassembling an M240 or M2 though...

We didn't really ever touch on shotguns, and to my knowledge there is no actual Marine Corps order on a shotgun qual. I just made the shotgun live fire a familiarization live fire when I was the OIC for that range. The S-4 and XO wouldn't let me use the course of fire I had originally planned because they didn't want PFCs who have never touched a pistol or shotgun before doing more than stationary drills. They would have been less concerned if I was planning the range for the MP platoon that's part of our squadron though.

Page generated in 0.03696 seconds with 8 queries